Chateau Leoville Barton
At a very early stage, in 1638 a Monsieur Moytie, had started assembling little parcels of land on the hillock just south of Latour, across the stream that divides the parish of St.-Julien from Pauillac. He named his gravel ‘dune’ Mont-Moytié. A century later it was bought by a President of Parliament, Monsieur Léoville. At this stage it was possibly the largest vineyard in the Médoc. Today it is divided into three, and Léoville Barton is one of the trio, of these St.-Julien estates with the name Léoville (all of which are 2nd growths).
In Château Leoville Barton we find the story of a great Irish wine family, now in its eight generation. In 1821 Hugh Barton acquired Château Langoa from M. Pontet who was anxious to concentrate his efforts on the larger Château Pontet Canet in Pauillac. In 1823 Barton took over 25% of the great Leoville estate from the Marquis de Las-Cases. There has never been a Château on the property and both Leoville Barton and Langoa Barton are made in the Langoa cellar.
Their policy has always been to maintain the highest possible proportion of old vines possible. The château also uses a relatively high % of Cabernet Sauvignon. They adhere to the practice of having a particularly long cuvaison of more than 21 days. Fermentation is carried out in oak vats of about 200 hectolitres. The aging is done in oak barrels and bottling takes place about two years after the vintage
In 1983 Anthony Barton took over from his uncle Ronald and from 1985 the quality has greatly improved and is now one of the very best in the Médoc.