PREMIER GRAND CRU CLASSÉ B
Situated on the St Martin de Mazerat plateau, immediately to the west of the old town, Beau-Séjour Béco the very heart of the Saint-Emilion appellation area. Since Gallo-Roman times, the site has been devoted to wine growing. The monks of Saint-Martin de Mazerat in the Middle Ages, followed by the Gères, lords of Camarsac fostered this know-how in their turn. In 1722 one of their descendants, Jeanne de Gères, brought the Domaine de Peycoucou – the peak where the cuckoo sings – into the estate of the Carles de Figeac family on her marriage. In 1787 General Jacques de Carles, who wished to leave to posterity the memory of the pleasure he had enjoyed in living there, renamed the estate Beau-Séjour.t lies in
Through sales and legacies - General Jacques de Carles was without successors - Beau-Séjour eventually came into the possession in 1924 of Doctor Jean Fagouet, who enlarged the family who had lived in Saint-Emilion since 1760 and owner of the neighbouring Château La Carte since 1929, purchased the estate in 1969.vineyard, increasing its surface area to 10.5 hectares (26 acres). Michel Bécot, born into a wine growing
In 1979, the Bécot family further enlarged the estate with the purchase of 4.5 hectares (11 acres) on the Trois Moulins plateau. The estate, which then became known as Château Beau-Séjour Bécot, is today a substantial 16.6-hectare (41-acre) holding on a perfectly uniform terroir.
Michel Bécot retired in 1985, turning over the management of the Château to his two sons Gérard and Dominique.