An exceptional geographical situation for a top quality vineyard, located in the heart of the Right Bank close to the borders of the famous Plateau of Pomerol and not far from Saint Emilion.
The La Fleur de Boüard vineyard combines the magic of land, vines and sky.
Managed by a man of great viticultural tradition, whose family have carefully fine-tuned their viticultural thinking and savoir-faire with innovation and commitment over seven generations, an exciting new future now awaits this vineyard.
Hubert de Boüard de Laforest is the co-owner of Château Angélus, a First Great Classified Growth of Saint Emilion, where he has managed the estate and made the wine for 20 years. He graduated as an oenologist at Bordeaux University.
Together with his wife, Corinne, they work passionately towards one single aim: to make an outstanding wine at La Fleur de Boüard
- Owners: Hubert et Corinne de Boüard de Laforest
- Director: Philippe Nunes
- Creation: Vineyard purchased in June 1998
- Surface area: 19,5 ha (48 acres
- The Plateau of Néac, 3 km from the Plateau of Pomerol : 11 hectares (27 acres) with clay-sand topsoil, and gravelly subsoil
- The Plateau of Lalande de Pomerol, less than 2.5 km from the Plateau of Pomerol: 8.5 hectares (21 acres) in one block, situated on a fabulous gravelly mound which includes 10% clay soils
Average age of the vines: 25 years
Grape varieties: 80% Merlot,15% Cabernet Franc,5% Cabernet Sauvignon
Average density of plantation: 6,500 plants per hectare to 8,500 plants per hectare Vineyard management:
- "Girondine" pruning technique, with two main branches, removing alternate buds along each cane
- De-leafing on the east side of the row at the end of the flowering and on the west side 3 weeks before the harvest
- Bunch thinning in summer to limit the crop yield to 30 to 45 hectolitres per hectare
- manual picking, using small crates for collecting the grapes.
In the vat cellar, the harvest is sorted twice: once before the de-stemming, and once after Vinification in small temperature-contolled stainless steel vats. Maceration for 3 to 4 weeks, the wine is then racked into French oak barrels exclusively, 80 to 90% of these are brand new
- 18 to 24 months
- Ni finin
- No filtering
Average annual production: 50,000 to 80,000 bottles
La Plus de la Fleur de Boüard
Grapes selected from a superb vineyard with heat-retaining stony soil.
Harvested by the château's own team from selected plots of old vines with small yields.
Bunches are hand-stemmed.
Whole berries are vinified in our "OVNI" vat (real state-of-art technology). This small, oddly-shaped experimental vat has a large surface area which maximizes skin contact. This reduces all vigorous actions, such as pumping over or punching down the cap, to a minimum, which allows the extraction of the finest tannins.
- Kept in french oak barrels, 100% new oak
- 33 months barrel ageing
- No fining
- No filtration
- Annual production of 3000 to 3500 bottles