Château La Lagune
The name is drawn from "in medium aquae", Latin for in the midst of waters a perfect name for this peninsula stretching between the Atlantic Ocean and the Garone River.
The soil of the Medoc dates back to the Tertiary and early Quartenary periods, when the Garonne brought pebbles from the Pyrenees. As it slowly withdrew, the stream sculpted into these pebble terraces pretty hillrocks that today constitute the finest grape-growing soil: the famous gravel hillrocks.
La Lagune's history began in the 16th century, under Henri IV, when the Dutch polder technicians began to plant vines on land that had been reclaimed from the sea. But it was in the 18th Century, in 1730 with the construction of the "chartreuse" (mansion) by Baron Louis (architect of Grand Bordeaux Thatre) that the domain finally settled into its wine-growing role.
It remained in the powerful Bordeaux family, De Sede, for many generations, until the 1855 Classification, which gave it a sought-after distinction Third Grand Cru Classe.
During the 1950's, La Lagune, as indeed most vineyards, could not resist the end of the War, the economic crisis and the great frosts of 1956.
In 1958, when George Brunette purhcases the property, there are but a few hectares of grapevines still in production. He undertook an extensive renovation programme which would eventually put La Lagune back on the path to excellence. But the financial demands weigh heaviliy, and a few years later, he is forced to be with his protegee.
Since then, true to form, La Lagune always basked in the love of amateuers and professionals. Jean-Francois Moueix, pwner of the Duclos Establishment, Bordeaux traders since 1886 confirms it: "The Chateau La Lagune is now considered a Second Grand Cru."
Today La Lagune has recovered the radiance of yesteryear. The Chatreuse has been restored, particular care being paid to authenticity and elegance.
As they were in the 18th century, meals are eaten in the superb arched kitchen while above salon and rooms done in the Rothschild style greet the guests of the domain throughout the year.
80 hectares planted most on one of the most perfect gravel hillrocks, and ideally facing North South. The gravel wll white pebbles brought in and eroded by the Garonne during the Tertiary and QUartenary eras. is are ideal for the vineyard. Indeed they provide a soil with a draining structure and the white colors reflects the rays of the sun on the grape bunches. The coler subsoil in which the roots plunge provides the vineyard with hydric nutrition.
Located between the Gironde Estuary and the Atlantic Ocean, La Lagune vineyard enjoys a microclimate which is a particularly favorable to grapevines. These two masses of water foster air displacements which chase clouds away and reduce rainfall, while also keeping the weather mild.
On the Lagune Hillrock are planted the traditional Medoc vines: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 10% of Petit Verdot.
Historically, one of the particularities of La Lagune is this strong proportion of Petit Verdot.
This historic Medoc grape variety is the most demanding and fragile resulting in its near complete disappearance from local vineyards. At La Lagune, the unique and exceptional phoenotypic selection, the soil, and the careful work of men allow the Petit Verdot to prosper each year.